|Focus on the Goal|
That is when I started thinking about the goals that I had for my family and whether I was scheduling my time to fulfill those goals. In theory, I wanted to be a Cub Scout family because I have fond memories of weekend camping trips when I was growing up. The reality is that I prefer to be indoors in a warm bed, things that go bump in the night scares me and the kids, the door to door sales that is necessary to earn the badges is not fun and when someone suggested a "turkey shoot" on the camping trip, I was a little horrified. I had to admit that our family is just not ready for the Cub Scouts and remove it and several other activities from our current schedule.
- Determine what type of family you want to be.
- Focus on what you really value.
- Make everything else optional and opt out often. Just say NO, with a smile. Resist the urge to offer excuses or long explanations. Are you doing it with love in your heart? If no, then don't do it
- Add the people, activities and events that are truly important to you to your monthly schedule and don't forget to schedule in FUN!
- "Flip Flopping" is ok. Reassess your goals each year.